Sunday, October 17, 2010

Labor and Delivery.

September 22, 2010.

We were sitting in our room waiting for things to happen. I was put into an uncomfortable hospital gown, sat on a bed and Grant planted himself into a chair to wait. The doctors and nurses came in and out and in and out, doing various random duties. Changing fluid bags, checking vitals, etc. We were just happy that the end was truly within our grasp and that we were going to meet our daughter.

Just admitted

After a few hours of waiting for a medication called Cytotech to take effect it was decided that we would start Pitocin to speed up my delivery. Now, being a first time mom to be, I decided I would take the road less traveled (at least that is how it seems to me to be) and try for an all natural birth. I would forgo any kind of medication unless absolutely necessary. My mantra was that if I could still say the word "epidural" I wouldn't get it.

In all I was in an induced labor with no pain medication for a little over 30 hours. At about 3:00 pm on the 23rd of September I got the epidural. The pain was so incredibly bad for me that I was actually screaming with each contraction, which were coming back to back by the way. I caved, and I got the epidural.

Epidural smile.

Three hours later, after having been checked by several different doctors over the course of the day it was decided that I needed to think about having a cesarean section because I was just not progressing. I was going from 5 centimeters to 7 centimeters and then back down to 5. Also, they were a bit worried that Kaylee's umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck and she seemed to be in distress. I finally called it around 4:00 pm and gave the go ahead to have the c-section done.

It was the decision I had to make. I did not want to do it, and I tried to very hard to do it naturally. I tried very hard indeed. After waiting for four and a half hours or so I was prepped for surgery. My husband was placed in his biohazard/chemical warfare suit, and we were taken to the OR. After being pumped full of anesthetic my husband came to my side, held my hand and the doctors started their business.

The biohazard/hazmat suit.
At 8:42 pm on September 23, 2010 my daughter was born. An hour later I was in a recovery room wondering where the hell she was at and why I had not seen her yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment