Thursday, October 27, 2011

Adventures in Sleep - Where did I go wrong?

So. Kaylee Monster has decided that sleeping at night when everyone else does is overrated. For the last two weeks or so she has slowly moved her sleep schedule from normal nighttime to sleeping all day, and playing all night. Now, I know that this is something I should expect as she gets older, but at 1 year old? Something has got to be wrong here.

I've done some reading and sometimes it says that they don't want to miss out on anything including mom and dad getting ready for bed. I've also read that they can have separation anxiety just for sleeping. So, yeah. I have no idea. All I know is that Daddy Monster and I are having a rough go of it because we both have work and we both require some sleep. Here are some of the things that I've done that haven't worked.

1. Nighttime routine: play, eat, bath time, read, diaper change, sleep. This routine has worked swimmingly for the last few months with just a hiccup or two when she was teething and during her recoveries from surgery and stuffs.
2.  I've tried keeping her up for longer stretches. This just leads to more naps, and longer ones.
3. I've tried taking her outside in the daylight when it is nice and bright so she can run around and learn to like it, but she just falls asleep as soon as I pick her up, or put her in her stroller.

I am at a loss. I hope this gets resolved soon, because OMG. I need to sleep.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry you are dealing with this! Most children go through phases of getting their days and nights mixed up.
    You have to shorten the naps! Let her fall asleep but wake her about 20 minutes later and give her a bath or a walk or sing and dance... anything to wake her completely. She may be cranky and there may be tears but the idea is to routinely break these daytime sleep sessions into short shifts and to gradually allow the longer sessions to take place at night.
    If I recall, it can take a few weeks to break the habit and it isn't fun! You have my sympathy.
    Oh yeah, I bathed Chandra about 4 times a day for 3 days straight. It p*ssed her off big time but it woke her up and broke the napping routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna give it my best shot...

    ReplyDelete