Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Surgery Day - The Very First Surgery.

Ha ha! I figured out my username and password for this blog! For whatever reason I couldn't remember it and I didn't get to "live blog" like I wanted to :( But it is ok. I am blogging now!

Kaylee, Grant and I ended up at The Children's Hospital around 10:00 am. We checked in and waited to be called upstairs to the surgery procedure waiting room on the second floor.

Kaylee and her Daddy.
We waited for about fifteen minutes or so and we were in her post op room, where her history was taken, height, weight, and she was changed into Children's Hospital finery.

Does this dress make my butt look big? Ugh, it doesn't even match my clutch!
She even played a little in her bed while everyone came and went to ask the same questions over and over again. She was measured (26 inches) and weighed (17.5 pounds), and then she played some more.

Sitting like a big girl, and still smiling!

Sock removal process: 0% complete. Initiate alternative protocols: roll over.

Mom...um...you are upside down!
 Then she was swooped away where they put my girl to sleep, inserted an IV and taken into surgery. Grant and I went down to the cafeteria where we were greeted with an abundance of yum, and we ate said yum (pizza). Then we were called back up to see miss thing around 2:45 pm.

A little swollen, but she looks just like her dad now!
 She was very, very groggy and sleepy so we let her sleep. Around six she started to stir, so we tried to feed her like we were told to - she hated it. I was so flustered I couldn't even get a picture :( Grant wanted so badly to cheer her up so he went and bought her a sock monkey!

My head is swimming...why?

After trying and failing to get her to eat she slept for a few hours and then woke up to (of all things) play! She had a happy for just a few minutes and wanted to play, so we played.

I am still a happy Kaylee, I want to grab my toes!
Finally, at 9 she was hungry enough to eat. She ate six whole ounces of food, although it took longer than usual (for obvious reasons) and then again two hours later around eleven she ate a whole seven ounces. She's doing so well that they took her off of the IV fluids not too long ago, and she is now safely swaddled with her animal print no-no's and sleeping the night away (at least I hope so because I am tired).

She looks amazing! More like her father than before, but that is awesome! She is doing really well and she doesn't mind the no-no's as much as I thought, but that could be because she is still slightly loopy from anesthesia. In any case, the lip repair is done, and ear tubes are in place. We have a follow up in a couple of weeks and then we will be a-okay for a few months before we are back here to have her palate repaired. That one might be the hard one, not sure. But for now, we are not going to worry about any future surgeries, we are going to live in this moment for just a while. Until morning anyway.

So, that was her very first surgery. Not as harrowing as I had originally thought, but hey, what else did I have to go on? Have a good night, internet. Love you,     Kaylee's Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment