Thursday, March 31, 2011

Two Weeks Post - Op: An Upper Lip Makes a World of Difference.

In public, I mean. Hell, I love my daughter. Anyone, I think, can tell that. But this was completely unexpected. I mean, I know that I cried out in exasperation every single time someone said something about my Kaylee, but I didn't expect this at all.

Kaylee, you see, can sit in the shopping cart like a big girl now. She can move around and she looks at everything, she points to things and I tell her what they are, and then she laughs. Then she looks around at other people walking by, and she laughs. While we were in the checkout line yesterday at good old King Soopers, no less than four women came up and asked questions about her, told me how wonderfully beautiful her eyes are, and not a single person inquired about her forming scar.

Quite a welcome surprise. These women were extremely impressed with how Kaylee girl can sit straight up in a shopping cart. They were impressed when she reached out to grab the plastic bags in the cart and laughed when Kaylee tried to murder my hair (again).

"How old is she?" "Oh, she is so precious!" "Look at those big blue eyes!" "She has to take after her daddy!" "look at that smile!"

I have to admit I was proud. I thought to myself...this is what it feels like to not have to answer questions about her deformity all the time.  And it might be horrible, but that is what I thought. Instead of dreading the person who is looking at her with strange, curious inquisition, now I get a little excited that I get to talk about how she sits up like a big girl, how she is growing so quickly, and how much she is just my little angel. I'm turning into one of those moms...the ones who brag incessantly about their children...aren't I?

Oh, well. Some pictures of the loverly Monster then?

Happy Monster with Daddy!

Pissed off Monster, in bed on her tummy.

Indifferent Monster in the exersaucer.

Just saw a "So Easy A Caveman Could Do It" Geico commercial. See the utter confusion on the Monster's face?

Stop taking the picture already would you?


No comments:

Post a Comment