Saturday, August 6, 2011

Ah. Home at Last.

Firstly, we almost had a major emergency before we came home. We had packed up all of our belongings, and got them into one of the carts to wheel out to the car which I had perfectly parked in the best position in front of the doors to the elevator shaft of the parking garage in front of the hospital. We three made our happy way out of the hospital, and to the car. I put Kaylee into her carseat (which I just now remembered: I must adjust straps to accomodate her No-no's), and then looked for Koala.

I looked in the overnight bags, the bathroom bag, the food cooler, husband's bag, my bag. No Koala. I ran all the way back up to the ninth floor of the hospital to get in to see if her Koala was in the lost and found. Not there. I ran back to the room and see the cleaning cart parked outside of it. I asked the nice cleaning lady if she saw it; no was her reply. Panic starts to set in slowly, this is Kaylee's most favorite snuggle. I ask the nurse at the nurses station, and she says "Well, let's go take a look-see."

We go back to the room, and look under everything. It isn't there. Then the nurse turns to the nice cleaning lady and asks "have you seen a stuffed Koala bear? It was the little girl who just stayed in this room's favorite." Magically, the Koala appears out of nowhere, I glare at the "nice cleaning lady" take my kids favorite stuffy back, and head down to the car to go home. I will file a complaint when my survey gets here in the mail. In any case...

We got home from the hospital yesterday afternoon. The house was clean (thanks to Grandma T. and my best friend Kendra for helping me with the last few things we needed!), cool (thanks to the little swamp cooler that could) and comfy (because it is home). Kaylee immediately was happy because she saw her toy box, and then was sad when I had to pull out the few things that I knew she couldn't possibly get into her mouth (things that she plays with on the floor exclusively), and put the lid on her other smaller toys.

Last night went as smoothly as it could. I think Husband did a good job of keeping Monster all occupied and what not while mommy slept. Daddy is asleep now and I am doing a great job of keeping Monster occupied (for that I must thank Disney and the movie "Tangled" for being my best inanimate friend right now). Now if I could only get her to eat just a little bit more I think things would go a little better. She absolutely hates the syringes. She hates the special feeder with tubes. And she will only tolerate her Habermann for so long before she gets pissed off and stops eating. :(

I will of course keep trying. I mean, I was able to make 5 months on the NAM work out. I think it was cake for me. This should be no different, except it is. This whole feeding thing is important because if she doesn't eat she could get sick and if she gets sick she could...let's not finish that sentence. She is getting some nutrients, but if she doesn't drink more than 24 oz today it will be back to the hospital for IV and probably tube feeding if necessary. I guess we will see.

Anyway, here is me: attempting to feed Monster at the hospital before we left. Notice me = tired. Kaylee = angry-ish. Anyway, much love. <3 JESS

Boy do I look tired. Kaylee is over it.

So, are we jumping this ship or what?

2 comments:

  1. SO glad you were able to find Kaylee's koala and that you are home safe and sound. *shaking my fist in the general direction of that darn swiping cleaning lady* We have our palate repair surgery scheduled in two weeks and I'm SO dreading it. Hopefully Kaylee will start eating more soon for you and continue to have a smooth recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Actually Kaylee is now eating more than she ever has. I also noticed this morning that she is actually starting to try and suck on her Habermann. She doesn't get much because the sucking reflex is not strong for her and well, the bottle itself is not made for it...but she is starting to use those palate muscles!

    I realized after talking to a bunch of people that what happens is they are so upset after surgery they just don't want to eat. Once they get used to the fact that they have an actual palate they eat like crazy. Kaylee is now drinking up to 12oz of formula per feeding. I can't wait until next week when we can get her started back on solids again. That is gonna be awesome!

    Good luck on your surgery. I don't know how you felt about the lip repair (I was a complete mess), but compared to that the palate surgery actually went a bit smoother in spite of her reluctance to eat for the first week. I hope it all goes well for you. Keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete