Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Palatoplasty: The Adventure; Pt. 2.

Well, it has been quite the day. I'm running on about three hours of sleep a crap load of coffee and just a little too many nerves.

Kaylee came out of surgery just fine. Her palate looks great, swollen, but great. She is having some trouble eating because it just hurts her to swallow, but she is okay for now. She's really grumpy, and she has the hiccups which are interrupting her sleep so she has not been a happy Monster. Anyway, a recap.

When Kaylee emerged from surgery, we knew she was going to have a stitch in her tongue, with a long black thread coming out of her mouth. That is put in so that her tongue (which was also very, very swollen) won't get caught in the back of her throat and suffocate her. If the nurse thought she was having some obstruction issues she would pull on the thread and Kaylee's tongue would pull forward and stay forward for a little while. What I wasn't expecting was this tube that was coming out of her "good" nostril on the right. It was an orange tube that went all the way down into her lungs to help that air way stay clear because of the swelling. The nurse pulled it out while I was holding Monster (it made me cry). Yuck.

Once the nose thing was removed and the stitch in her tongue was removed Kaylee was moved to her room, which is only slightly better than the one she had last time, and the first thing that Grant notices is the size of the what could loosely be called a "bed." Twin sized. I get to sleep in the chair again, which is fine by me because I get to hold on to the Monster.

So far we have only been able to get her to take a few ounces of apple juice and water. As far as full fledged bottle eating goes I think we will wait until tomorrow. Daddy has always been better with the feedings. I have no doubt he will excel this time as well. It just makes me nervous, frankly. Here is my daughter with fresh sutures in the roof of her mouth and I am supposed to stick a bottle in it? No, Daddy can be the hero there.

Anyway, before I try to take a nap before the nurse comes in again and wakes Monster, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their thoughts and well wishes. Thank you so much for helping us stay strong today. We really appreciate it. <3 I would post some post-op pics of Kaylee, but we have yet to take any. I believe the best thing for her right now is to rest as much as is humanly possible. I'll get more pictures up tomorrow at least.

Thanks again so much, and I love you all. <3 Jess, Monster, and Grant (the other monster).

No comments:

Post a Comment